Most of the people might tend to reflect upon summer in a fond light: lazy beach days, a bounty of festivals, and endless sunshine. But with higher temperatures comes a dreaded side effect: acne!
Pimples can be one of the most stubborn skin concerns 365 days a year, but it is known to get worse during hot weather, which means: Summer season!
Summer is traditionally associated with hot or warm weather, and it is because of this extreme weather condition, people suffer major acne problems during this season.
Here is our guide on how to beat the not-so-welcomed pimples this summer season.
What is acne?
Acne is a chronic, inflammatory, and one of the most common skin conditions. Almost everyone is affected by it at some point in their life. Acne is not dangerous but can result in whiteheads, pimples, and blackheads which can leave skin scars.
What are its symptoms?
Acne can be whiteheads, blackheads, pimples, or red itchy dots. They mostly tend to appear on the face, neck, chest, and back. These can last for a few months, a few years or can come and go your entire life.
What are its causes?
There are many things and factors that can trigger acne; here is a list of the few parameters which cause acne.
Certain food: Studies have shown that foods rich in carbohydrates and also dairy products can trigger the growth of acne. Also, chocolate can aggravate acne to make it worse
Dirt: Dirt doesn’t cause acne, however, scrubbing your face too hard, and washing off your face frequently can dry your face and can irritate the skin, to increase acne more
Stress: Being depressed or stressed can reflect a bad result on your face, i.e. causing acne worse
Heredity: Acne can also be hereditary; if one of your parents had severe acne then it is more likely for you to have severe acne
Certain medications: Few drugs and medications can worsen acne
Greasy Cosmetics: Normally, acne is not cosmetic related but sometimes, greasy cosmetics can cause acne to break out
What are the causes of acne in the summer season?
Heat and humidity during summers can make you sweat a little excessively. This causes skin cells to become much stickier than normal. Dead skin accumulates as debris on the outer surface and when mixed with sebum creates an oxygen-negative environment under our skin, where bacteria can multiply naturally. This causes inflammation of the skin leading to acne breakouts.
How to fight acne in summer?
Many people choose conventional acne treatments that can be expensive and contain potentially dangerous prescribed drugs. But keeping aside these methods, there are few traditional methods or home remedies for getting rid of acne.
Tea Tree oil: Besides having great benefits of Tea Tree oil, one is that it also helps in minimizing the effect of acne and its scars.
- Mix 1 part of Tea Tree oil with 9 parts of water
- Take a cotton ball, dip in the mixture and apply on the affected area
- Repeat this process twice daily
Apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar contains many organic acids that are known to suppress the effect of acne. It also helps to suppress inflammation and prevent scarring caused by acne.
- Mix 1 part of apple cider vinegar and 3 parts of water
- Clean your skin with fresh water and apply this mixture to your skin with the help of a cotton ball
- Keep the mixture on the affected areas for 5-20 seconds and rinse with cool water
- Repeat this process twice daily for a better result
Aloe vera: It is one of the most convenient ways to get rid of acne and its scars.
- Apply aloe vera gel directly to your face
- Let it dry for 5 minutes
- Rinse it off with cold water
- Repeat this process daily for a faster result
Green Tea: The antioxidant property of Green Tea gives overall health benefits.
- Add green tea leaves to boiling water and boil it for 2-3 minutes
- Allow the tea to cool down
- Dip a cotton ball into the mixture and apply to the acne-affected area
- Let it dry and rinse it off with cool water
- Repeat this process thrice a week
Honey and Cinnamon Paste: The paste of Honey and Cinnamon are known to fight bacteria and reduce inflammation caused by acne
- Make a paste by mixing 2 tablespoons of honey with 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- Apply this mask to the affected area. And let it dry for 10 minutes
- Wash it off with cool water
Lemon: The acidic content of lemon fights off acne and clears your skin pores.
- Rub a slice of lemon directly to the acne-affected area and wash it off with water
- You can make a mixture of lemon with rose water and can wash your face with the solution
- Repeat this process thrice a week if you have dry skin
Fullers Earth: Also known as Multani mitti, is one of the best methods to get rid of acne.
- Make a paste of mixing Fullers Earth, rose water, and sandalwood powder
- Apply this pack to your face and let it dry
- Rinse off with cold water
- Repeat the process once a week
Take good care of your body, eat healthy food and avoid dairy products. Follow the natural remedies mentioned above to get rid of acne without taking expensive drugs or treatments. Stay healthy!
Author Bio: OnTheBuzz is a one-stop content platform for blogs and all your queries on food, fitness, health, lifestyle, and skin secrets. OnTheBuzz is a branch of Taevas Global, a dynamic healthcare marketing agency.